Arizona Association of
The mission of school psychologists is to promote educationally and psychologically healthy environments for all children and youth by implementing research-based, effective programs that prevent problems, enhance independence, and promote optimal learning.
AASP/NASP Handout on Supporting Immigrant and Refugee Students
Safe Arizona Schools and Crisis Training Materials
AASP is thrilled with Governor Ducey’s new Safe Arizona Schools action plan. In his plan, the Governor recognizes that children have the right to feel and be safe in their classrooms. AASP is particularly supportive of the focus on increasing mental health care in schools as well as increased training and support of school resource officers. His proposal calls for common sense changes to our state laws regulating access to firearms as well. We urge you to review Governor Ducey’s plan here and to contact Governor Ducey’s office to share your support.
Please click on the following document to read a message from AASP regarding the plan and some additional resources for crisis training:
Contact Your Legislators
This is the week to participate in virtual Capitol Hill Day at the state and federal level. Follow links to pre-formatted emails (you can edit as desired) and talking points for phone calls. You don’t need to know your districts, just put in your zip code! You don’t need to be a NASP member, just follow the links!
AZ/Email to Legislators: This email promotes general awareness of the field of school psychology, the qualifications of school psychologists and the challenges we face. http://cqrcengage.com/naspweb/app/write-a-letter?2&engagementId=503122
AZ/Phone Call to Legislators: This link takes to you talking points you can review with your legislator, their staff or their voicemail. http://cqrcengage.com/naspweb/app/make-a-call?4&engagementId=503123
Federal/Emails to Legislators: This NASP page has emails on many topics. Send one or send them all – you choose. http://cqrcengage.com/naspweb/home?6
NASP Resources for School Psychologists on the Important Issues of Safe and Successful Schools and Supporting Efforts to Prevent Gun Violence
AASP is very aware that the topic of keeping students safe will be an important topic throughout Arizona schools (especially high schools) this week. Attached are documents from NASP that are resources for school psychologists to share with others. These documents use real data and a research base to discuss these important issues.
A Framework for Safe and Successful Schools
“This join statement provides a framework supported by educators for improving school safety and increasing access to mental health supports for children and youth.”
NASP Resolution for Efforts to Reduce Gun Violence
This resolution was passed by the NASP Leadership Assembly on January 23, 2018 speaks to the issues that students are organizing to address.
NASP Position Statement on School Violence
This statement adopted by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) in 2015 “vigorously supports and promotes efforts that create safe, secure, and peaceful schools free of the destructive influence of violence in all of its forms.”
NASP Advocacy Action Center
1. Visit The NASP Advocacy Page to find all of NASP's current Legislative alerts.
2. Click on the blue title of one of these alerts, and this will bring you to a new page.
3. Input your personal information in the pre-existing boxes to send the letter to Congress. The Advocacy Action Center will find your members of Congress automatically by your zip code.
4. If you check the box "Remember me" at the bottom of the page , it will remember this information.
5. Press "submit" on this page and a new page will appear with a draft subject line and message to e-mail to congress. You may keep this subject line and message or choose to edit it.
6. When you are finished editing the letter, press "Submit" and you will receive a confirmation that your letter was sent.
7. From the confirmation page, press "Back to main page" to return to the home page and submit the rest of the letters.